2,007 total views, 2 views today
- Navajo Beef Stew
- I was introduced to this delicious recipe on a recent trip to Montana, thanks to my sister-in-law, Martha, a fabulous cook. Recipe is from "This Place Called Home: A Kansas City Cookbook.
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 lb. boneless stew beef cut in 1-in. cubes
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 2 4.5 oz cans chopped green chiles
- 1 jalapeno pepper chopped (optional)
- 3 med. potatoes diced
- 2 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 limes (optional - garnish)
- In large, heavy pot cook beef in oil until almost brown.
- Add onion and garlic and finish browning. Add broth and bay leaves, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove bay leaves. Add corn, chiles, jalepeno pepper, potatoes, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more broth or water if soup seems to dry.
Serve with warm tortillas. Garnish with lime wedge.